June is Pride Month, which is held each year to honor the June 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan, an event that kicked off the movement for gay rights in the United States. Pride Month was celebrated nationally for the first time in 1999 under President Bill Clinton. It is a time to celebrate the contributions of LGBTQIA+ individuals, bear witness to their history, and take action in fighting for liberation and equality.
Queer history was cultivated through significant oppression and violence and has driven towards liberation by the work of countless activists and allies, some of whom lost their lives in the battle for civil rights. By listening to stories of LGBTQIA+ history, students may feel more connected to and accepting of their own identities, develop a deeper consciousness and understanding of shared histories, and feel empowered to serve as allies.
- Stonewall and AIDS Activism
- Forgotten Civil Rights Activist
- Singular “They” Enters the Dictionary
- Pronouns for All
- Identity Across Generations
- Marriage: A Right for All
- Gay Marriage Before the Supreme Court
- State Sanctioned Discrimination
- Kentucky Clerk Refuses Same-Sex Couples
- Gay Teacher Alleges Sex Discrimination, says His Same Sex Marriage Doesn’t Fit Stereotype
- Supreme Court Justice Kennedy Retires
- Looking Back on Bullying
- Debate: Should the Spanish Language Be Gender Neutral?
- Gender and Diversity in Comics
- Debate: Should High Testosterone Disqualify Female Athletes?
- Women’s Marches Around the Country Protest President Trump
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Pride Month from the Library of Congress
- Celebrate LGBTQ Pride Month from Teaching Tolerance
- LGBTQ History and Why It Matters– from Facing History and Ourselves
- Teaching the Missing History of LGBTQ Civil Rights from Facing History and Ourselves
- The Trevor Project– Suicide Crisis Line for LGBTQIA+ Youth
- Making Gay History
- A Teacher’s Guide to Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Terms
- Pronouns Matter
- History Unerased – LGBT+ inclusive US history curriculum