June is Pride Month, which is held each year to honor the June 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan, an event that kicked off the movement for gay rights in the United States. Pride Month was celebrated nationally for the first time in 1999 under President Bill Clinton. It is a time to celebrate the contributions of LGBTQ+ individuals, bear witness to their history, and take action in fighting for liberation and equality.
Why Teach LGBTQ+ Podcast Stories
Queer history has included oppression and violence, and has been driven toward liberation by the work of manyactivists and allies, some of whom lost their lives in the battle for civil rights. Listenwise has curated an LGBTQ+ Stories collection that educators can use, along with using the LGBTQ+ topic tag and the story list and resources below, to help students learn more about this community’s experiences. By listening to LGBTQ+ podcast stories, students may feel more connected to and accepting of their own identities, develop a deeper consciousness and understanding of shared histories, and feel empowered to serve as allies.
Listenwise LGBTQ+ Podcast Stories
- Navy Ship Named After LGBTQ Leader Harvey Milk
- Superheroes Highlight Diverse Sexual Identities
- First Active NFL Player to Come Out as Gay
- Debate: Should Penalties for Homophobic Slurs Be Stronger?
- Megan Rapinoe Reflects on Her Life
- What Science Says about Transgender Athletes
- First Openly Transgender Federal Officer Appointed
- Biden Administration Protects LGBTQ Rights
- Supreme Court Decision Protects LGBTQ Workers
- Stonewall and AIDS Activism
- Forgotten Civil Rights Activist
- Singular “They” Enters the Dictionary
- Pronouns for All
- Identity Across Generations
- Pope Endorses LGBTQ Civil Unions
- Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage
- Looking Back on Bullying
- Debate: Should the Spanish Language Be Gender Neutral?
- Gender and Diversity in Comics
- Debate: Should High Testosterone Disqualify Female Athletes?
Other Teaching Resources
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Pride Month from the Library of Congress
- Celebrate LGBTQ Pride Month from Learning for Justice
- LGBTQ History and Why It Matters– from Facing History and Ourselves
- Teaching the Missing History of LGBTQ Civil Rights from Facing History and Ourselves
- The Trevor Project– Suicide Crisis Line for LGBTQIA+ Youth
- Making Gay History
- A Teacher’s Guide to Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Terms
- The ABCS of LGBTQIA+
- Pronouns Matter
- History Unerased – LGBT+ inclusive US history curriculum
Learn more about how Listenwise podcast and video lessons can support diversity, equity, and inclusion in your classroom!